Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I might have a music addiction


Winwood!



So, you don't have to pay for music anymore.

OK, that's not news. Stay with me.

For a long time I had been relying on this Google search algorithm to find free music online. Replace "Judas Priest" (...shut up) in the quotes at the end with whatever band you're looking for and let Google do the heavy lifting for you.

Lately, though, that's gone to crap. Nothing but links to long-dead FTP sites and spam.

Then, today, I found Elbo.ws. It aggregates MP3 blogs, a class of blog that I understood to exist but, clearly, vastly underestimated. MP3 bloggers are, on the aggregate, crazy willing to save me some money.



Seriously. Give their blog search a try. Search for your favorite band or song on there. You can refine by album, artist, or song on the results screen to clear out some of the unrelated crap.

I'll wait. ...

...

I KNOW, RIGHT?! How hadn't I heard about this site before?

I seriously just "saved", what?, $50 bucks or so by scanning my long-neglected iTunes shopping cart, searching on Elbo.ws for those same tracks, and relying on the kindness of strangers to get the MP3s that I otherwise would have paid a buck for.

Pretty much any major single from the past 60 years? It's out there for the taking. Especially if your tastes run indie.

This isn't going to save you if you're an album lover. But if you need to hear Steve Winwood's "Valerie" right this second? You're set.

The question no one asked: what did I download tonight? Be happy to tell you! It starts with a sampling from some upcoming and recent releases and then gets, um, less reputable... then swings back to this blog post with half of the Big Lebowski soundtrack. Shouldn't be hard to track down the MP3s yourself, but have some music videos while you're here. The Cloud Cult and Wisely ones (with Pam from The Office) are especially cool.

  • Cloud Cult - "Everybody Here is a Cloud"


  • My Morning Jacket - "Evil Urges"

  • Fleet Foxes - "White Winter Hymnal"


  • Fleet Foxes - "Ragged Wood"

  • Fleet Foxes - "Mykonos"

  • House of Pain - "Jump Around"


  • Mungo Jerry - "In The Summertime"

  • Hanson - "Mmm bop"

  • Loverboy - "Working for the Weekend"

  • Nena - "99 Luftballons"

  • Marc Cohn - "Walking in Memphis"


  • Wisely - "Through Any Window"


  • The Stranglers - "Golden Brown"

  • Deee-lite - "Groove Is In The Heart"


  • Donna Lews - "I Love You Always Forever"

  • Sonic Your - "Superstar" (Yes, the one from Juno)

  • Carpenters - "(They Long To Be) Close To You"

  • Peter Bjorn & John - "Young Folks"


  • Steve Winwood - "Valerie"


  • Mark Ronson f/ Amy Winehouse - "Valerie"

  • ? and the Mysterians - "96 Tears"

  • The Crests - "16 Candles"

  • The Commodores - "Three Times A Lady"

  • Paul Simon - "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover"

  • David Bowie - "TVC 15"

  • Dusty Springfield - "I Only Want To Be With You"

  • Harry Nilsson - "Everybody's Talkin"

  • Elvis Costello - "My Mood Swings"

  • The Gipsy Kings - "Hotel California"

  • Kenny Rogers & The First Edition - "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)"

  • Bob Dylan - "The Man in Me"



The lesson, as always: I'm hopeless. The Fleet Foxes and My Morning Jacket albums coming out in June sound like they're going to be really awesome.

And can I say a hearty "SCREW YOU!" to people that disable embedding of their videos on YouTube? What the hell is the point if I can't embed the damn music video?? How am I supposed to share Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up"?? Yes, that's the first time anyone's warned you about being Rickroll'd. You're welcome.

No comments: