Sunday, April 27, 2008

Care to guess what was in my iTunes shopping cart?

These days I use my iTunes shopping cart as a wishlist of sorts. I don't buy it very often, so right now there's a lot of stuff in there after I've recovered from the financial strain of moving and starting a new job.

The music I've been meaning to buy must be some pretty eclectic stuff, because this is what I saw last time I took a peek:

WHAT is in my cart?.png

The Spin Doctors and Proclaimers seem reputable, but "Peanut Butter Jelly Time"???

What on earth powers their recommendation algorithm? And why would I ever pay real money for "Peanut Butter Jelly Time"?

Anyway, I haven't cleared out the cart yet. Care to take a guess at what's in there?

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow, I have no idea what else is in your cart. Definitely some sort of '90s rock band, but I'm not sure who. I have a feeling the recommendations come largely from seeing what other people bought in addition to the stuff in your cart, much less other stuff you would buy.

I really love the Amazon.com recommendations I get, mostly because I bought an S Club 7 CD one time when I was drunk and a children's book one time when I was sober, in addition to buying books for my poli sci and journalism classes. Every other recommendation is a bad British pop band's CD, a picture book or some sort of Milton Friedman/theory of economics in politics/the art of interviewing book.

Lee Reamsnyder said...

I too have had fun with Amazon's engine. At one point I ordered two CDs at the same time: Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach's "Painted from Memory"... and a Slipknot album. What can I say, I genre hop.

As a result, for years, if you looked at that Slipknot page, it would say "People who bought this also bought 'Painted from Memory.'" That probably threw some people for a loop.